S.S. No. 6 School Wylie, built 1894
A "WEE" BIT OF TOWNSHIPS' HISTORY
Prior to 1859, six Townships were combined to form the United Townships of, Alice, Rolph, Buchanan, Wylie, McKay, and Petawawa. Alice & Petawawa severed in 1859 & 1865 respectively
Founded in 1855, named after the Honorable John Rolph MD who founded the Toronto School of Medicine.
Founded in 1855, and named after the Honorable Thomas McKay, M.P for the County of Russell in 1835. He built Rideau Hall for his own residence.
Founded in 1857, and named after either the Honorable Isaac Buchanan, Member of the Legislative Assembly after 1841 or Mr. George Buchanan from Arnprior.
Founded in 1864, named after the Honorable James Wylie who was a member of the Legislative Council before Confederation. He was a merchant from Almonte.
THE VILLAGE OF CHALK RIVER
Was for many years the main focal point of the Townships, not only known as a Lumbering Depot for the Perlie Lumber Company, 1876/80, and J.R. Booth Lumber Company, 1880-1895, but probably better known as being the Railroad Divisional Point between North Bay and Ottawa.
THE TOWN OF DEEP RIVER
In 1945, with the need for homes of Employees who toiled at the Chalk River Plant, a Town site was built. In 1959 this site became the Town of Deep River.
THE HAMLET OF PT. ALEXANDER
Gained its recognition as early as 1857 when the McConnell Bros were well established as Lumbermen in Rolph Township. Today, it is home to the Townships Municipal Office, Fire Hall, Main Garage, and Library.
Home of the School House Museum, owned & operated by the Rolph, Buchanan, Wylie & McKay Historical Society.
THE HAMLET OF ROLPHTON
The population of this Hamlet exploded in 1945 when it became home to approx. 2,400 of
the some 5,000 men and women who helped build the Rolphton Hydro Power Dam.