Crafts and Projects
(note: requires adult assistance with hot wax)
- Wax crayons and paraffin wax
- Plastic Margarine container
- Damp Sand
- Stick (large enough to site across the plastic container)
- Stone or small weight
- Place damp sand in plastic container.
- Carve out a mold in the sand (approximately 15-30 cm (3-6
inches) deep and wide making sure that plastic is covered by sand.
- Tie a stone or weigh to one end of the string.
- Place the string (weight end first) into the centre of the
mold, leaving it touch the bottom of the mold.
- Place the stick across the top of the container.
- Tie the other end of the string to the stick so that the string
is straight from the weight to stick.
- Melt separately small amounts paraffin wax and add one colour
of wax crayon different coloured crayons with paraffin wax:
- or melt paraffin wax and add chucks of crayons just before
pouring in mold for a marbled effect
- or melt paraffin wax and add small stones just before pouring
in mold for a pebble effect
- Gradually pour in small amounts of wax, letting harden slightly
between each colour
- Fill mold to about 2 cm (1 in) from top of plastic container
- Let cool thoroughly
- Invert the plastic container to remove the Sand Candle Remove
excess sand and enjoy